Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Diwali- The Festival of __?

Diwali is just round the corner and after my previous blog entry (A social message on saving paper, click here to read) I thought if I am getting this chance of writing an entry on any topic I wish, then why not another social message?? I was just going through my old documents and found this document which I had written in an angry mood on Diwali Day 2006. So here it goes… (And please note that this has been written by a class 9 student!! Hehe…)

What happens when you buy and burn crackers?
Have you ever seen any dog or any other animal, near the place where crackers are being burnt?
· Small children make crackers, in hazardous conditions. Imagine yourself or your child living in such conditions and making crackers for others to enjoy. Though law has made child labor illegal since 10/10/06, but since when has law been enacted properly, in India?
· Crackers are covered with paper, packed in paper and are wrapped in paper. Why waste so much paper? Paper wastage ultimately leads to wastage of trees and thus reduces life period of this earth. (Want details on paper usage, wastage and conservation? Do have a look at my previous entry on this blog!)
· Crackers cause air pollution. This is a completely known fact to you. Still you burn them. Why would air pollution affect YOU, after all?
I just returned home from the Diwali celebration. My experience of this Diwali showed me many things.
· People, mainly school-going/teenage boys, just don’t care where they are burning crackers. May it be on the drainage pipeline or under a tree or even near a person/vehicle/animal?
· Teachers tell us about all the harms caused by crackers and next day they themselves burn crackers.
· When you say that you are celebrating a cracker less Diwali, people, mainly elders, congratulate you and then the next thing you see, they are burning crackers themselves.
What according to you Diwali is?
Diwali is the festival of _______________??? Light? If you thought this, you are 100% wrong. It is Sound. Yes, Diwali is the festival of SOUND not LIGHT, as it used to be.
This Diwali clearly showed more sound, than light. People think bursting bombs of all varieties is a mark of status; the Jhirjhiris, Chakris, Anaars etc are kid-items. Result: Ear-splitting deafening non-stop sound, continuously.
If you live in India or any other place where Diwali is celebrated, then you know that all the above-mentioned things are 100% true.
You have two options: One- Stop using crackers and spread this message to as many people as possible. Two- Do what you will, thinking you will be no longer on this earth after a few years, so why think of the risk.
I have enjoyed this cracker less Diwali of mine, very much and plan to make my entire future Diwalis cracker less ones. When are you planning to make your Diwali, a cracker less one? 
Well, I am planning to celebrate my 6th crackerless Diwali this year. Do leave your comments and let me know what are your plans!

And yes, Happy Diwali in advance! Well, I am just 3 weeks early! ;)

1 comment: